For the folks looking for an answer:
I had something happen today that normally doesn’t happen. I loaded a solution, and Visual Studio just closed. No error message, no dump. It just stopped. Gone. I tried many, many times, and it crashes silently when opening one particular solution. It works fine on every other solution. At first, I thought I’d disable my add-ins, so I disabled:
I even reinstalled PowerCommands because I found someone who had a problem with that. Nothing worked. I finally started thinking about the variables.
The one variable I missed was that this solution had last been worked with before I upgraded to Visual Studio 2008 SP1.
Solution: I deleted the *.suo and *.cache files next to my solution file. I reopened the solution, and everything is fine.